The history of the municipality of Bayombong could be claimed to be on April 12, 1739, with a first mass celebrated by Reverent Father Pedro Freire, an Augustinian Priest, in a temporary chapel set at the foot of Bangan Hill. It was however, on April 22, 1740 that Bayombong was established as a formal organization of local government by the Augustinian Priests in the Capitulary meeting and later relinquished to the Dominican Order.
Prior to the arrival of the Spaniards, the town was inhabited by the Ifugaos and in 1718 they were followed by the Gaddanes from Daruyat, Angadanan, Isabela, and Amanga, Cagayan and the Maalats from Isabela. The Gaddanes, known today as the Gaddangs, were fierce warriors and drove away the Ifugaos to their new settlement in Ifugao province.
The name Bayombong came from the gaddang word “bayongyong” which means confluence of a mighty river. Bayongyongs are bamboos about two meters long used by Maalats to carry fresh water from wells built along the river banks. During the 1st tribal war between the Maalats and the Gaddanes, the Maalats lost and retreated leaving behind scattered bayongyongs. The place was thus named Bayumbung as a sign of Gaddanes’ first victory. The term was later changed by the Spanish friars to “Bayombong” to mellow the harsh, unpleasant and hard sounding word “Bayumbung”.
After 15 years from its foundation on 1740, the town Bayombong was administered by friars, local governance was focus on education and religious activities. The year 1754 marked the beginning of the formal organization of local government with the appointment of a CAPITAN DEL PUEBLO as the chief executive followed by five (5) more until the year 1765. On 1789, the title of the chief executive was changed to GOBERNADORCILLO and on 1893 was again changed to CAPITAN MUNICIPAL.
During the revolutionary government on 1896, the PRESIDENTE LOCAL was the term used for the chief executive but this again was changed to MAYOR on 1937 as per provision of the Commonwealth Constitution. From then on there were changes in leadership starting from eight (8) MUNICIPAL MAYORS from 1937 to 1946 with 3 years term of office. From 1946 to present there were fourteen (14) mayors, five (5) of whom were appointed. The Mayors that held the position the longest were Patricio Dumlao, nine (9) years, Adriano L. Dela Cruz fifteen (15) years. Atty. John Severino G. Bagasao was appointed Mayor on 1986-1987 and elected on 1992-2001, then on 2004-2013 for a total of 19 years. The current Mayor, Atty. Ralph C. Lantion was elected on 2016.
If the Philippines prides itself with the Rizal Park, the best park in the east, Bayombong offers its provincial capitol; also called the “Luneta of the North”, purportedly the symbol of noble aspirations, foresights and noble visions of its builder, the late Governor Patricio G. Dumlao.
The Municipal Seal of Bayombong was crafted during the First term of Mayor John Severino G. Bagasao and was approved by the National Historical Institute, Monuments and Heraldy Division on February 1995. The Seal Symbolism are as follows;